In the wake of Robin Williams taking his own life I’ve been thinking a lot about The Trevor Project. I thought I’d give them a shout out this week and help raise more awareness and shine a light on this sad darkness.
- Crimes against gay & trans community in US getting more violent
- Luxembourg: Parliament to vote on same-sex marriage this spring
- US trans women beaten, stripped on train as passengers cheer
- Morocco jails and wants to exile six men for trying to“recruit” gays
- South Koreas capital Seoul attempts to cancel Pride but fails
- Facebook deletes user’s profile over innocent lesbian kiss photo
- Pakistan makes progress, gets its first LGBTI themed book for kids
- Wurst’s Eurovision win may help bring marriage equality to Austria
Somehow we got lassoed into marching with the Trevor Project folks in San Francisco Pride Parade today. This is our new friend Thumbelina and her custom alterations to her Trevor Project t-shirt. Happy Pride! :)
I’m shocked. I just learned that over 100 schools in Georgia say ‘No Gays Allowed!’ – and are still getting public funds from the state!
California Governor Jerry Brown has signed legislation that will ban “reparative” therapy on anyone under the age of 18. The bill, SB 1172, now law, will prohibit such treatment, and any practitioner who does engage in such procedures will be subject to discipline by his or her licensing board.
“Ex-gay” treatment has been declared ineffective and possibly dangerous by the related medical associations responsible for mental health standards, and gay rights organizations have been lobbying for this bill since it was introduced by Senator Ted Lieu -D Torrance (Los Angeles County).
“This bill bans non-scientific ‘therapies’ that have driven young people to depression and suicide. These practices have no basis in science or medicine and they will now be relegated to the dustbin of quackery,” Brown said in a statement to The San Francisco Chronicle.