A big gay storm blew through the Peruvian National Police this week. On Tuesday, a legislative decree announced strict penalties for a number of actions considered damaging to the institution’s image. The decree raised a few eyebrows about the government’s priorities. Some of the lesser infractions and sanctions included:
- 2 to 6 days suspension for mental or physical abuse of spouses or children
- 11 to 15 days suspension for failing to pay child support
More serious infractions included:
- Belonging to a criminal organization
- Committing flagrant crimes
- And, oh, sexual relations with someone of the same gender
These actions, considered scandalous and detrimental to the institution’s image, would result in expulsion from the force.
The response to this decree was surprisingly fast and effective.